Fun Things to Bring to a Music Festival
Maximize the amount of fun that you have at festivals
Apart from the music festival necessities, at some point while preparing it would be wise to consider the fun things to bring to a music festival. Bringing the right things (supplies, items, etc.) will maximize the amount of fun that you have and even help to make you new friends.
Read through this post to learn about some of the best items and most fun things to bring to a music festival.
Fun things to bring to a music festival
Festival totems are an amazing way to flex your creative muscle and showcase your personality at the same time. They’re a great conversation starter and bring people great joy most of the time. Apart from the rules set in place by festival organizers (which vary depending on the event) there are some important un-written rules to follow when it comes to your festival totem:
- Make sure that it is collapsible – Although they are harmless fun, some people do get annoyed by totems. Being able to bring it down with ease is very important. A good way to do this is to create it using a telescoping flag pole or similar contraption.
- Don’t make it obnoxiously large in size – That is, unless you plan on standing all the way in the back of the crowd at every show. I get it, you want people to see your totem.. But at the same time, the larger you make it, the more likely you will be obstructing the view of people who are standing behind you. Nothing is worse than not being able to see your favorite artist because someone decided to bring their huge poster board totem to the front of the crowd. For the sake of all festival lovers, please don’t be this person.
- If all else fails, keep it at the campsite – Festival totems also serve a great purpose of making it easier to identify your campsite in an endless sea of tents and canopies. Use some rope or zip-ties to strap that baby onto one of the legs of your canopy and you’ve got a campsite decoration and functional landmark all in one!
Inflatable kiddie pool
Kiddie pools might be one of the most genius items that I’ve personally seen brought to a camping music festival. Not for the reasons you might be thinking. Sure, you can fill the kiddie pool with water and hop in to relax and cool yourself down on a super hot day.. But kiddie pools serve more purposes than you might initially have imagined. You can do one or more of the following:
- Fill the pool with ice and stock it with beer – This will give you and all of your friends easy access to cold, fresh brews all through out the day! However, keep it in the shade (under your canopy or inside your tent) to avoid wasting so much precious ice.
- Fill the pool with plastic balls – Go old school and take it back to your true kiddie days. This takes a bit more effort, but it brings a smile to my face every time that I see this done at a music festival. Nothing beats the nostalgic feeling of jumping into a ball pit; especially when you’re exhausted from dancing and raging your face off all day!
- Use it as a raft when you crowd surf – Festival veterans and daredevils ONLY.
Throw these up into the air when you’re in the crowd at a show or hand some out to make new friends. So many options, so little time. Just look at this video taken at Hangout music fest ’16.
Here’s a few of my favorite inflatables:
- Inflatable donut
- Giant inflatable duck (featured above)
- Inflatable beach balls
- Giant inflatable pickle
- Gigantic beach balls
Uno, Cards against Humanity, What the Meme, or event standard deck card games are an awesome way to spend time at your campsite during the day or while you wait for a performer.
Whether you buy the cheap, novelty kind or the advanced, super-soaker kind, water guns are a great way to have fun. On a hot summer day people might even thank you for cooling them off with some water.
You might have a hard time getting these past festival security, but they are enjoyable to use in the campgrounds nonetheless. Side note: not everyone is friendly so be cautious of who you spray at and practice common sense when engaging in such behavior.
Because who doesn’t love bubbles?
This might seem like an obvious one but it’s something that many festival goers always seem to forget. The great thing about foldable tables is that they don’t take up much space, so they’re a realistic possibility when you’re going through the process of Tetris packing your vehicle.
Harness the true socializing powers of having a foldable table at a camping music festival; set the table up outside of your campsite in the car/walking lane and invite strangers to join you. There’s a ton of different party favorites that you can play. The classics include:
- Beer (or water) pong
- Flip cup
Shareable candy and snacks
Bring some individually wrapped candy or snacks to give out to all the awesome people you meet through out the weekend.
This is a super-effective conversation starter and a tremendous way to make a random stranger’s day. I tend to come prepared with individually wrapped flavored bubble gum and always receive great reviews.
When the sun goes down and night officially falls, music festivals turn into a beautiful landscape of lights, sparkles, and vibrant glowing colors. Glow sticks serve a vital function in keeping this tradition alive.
Although, like the water guns, you might have a difficult time getting glow sticks past security as they are typically on festivals’ list of prohibited items. You’ll likely be alright with at least getting some in by sticking them in the bottom of your bag prior to walking past the security check.
It is a common occurrence to see dozens, sometimes hundreds, of glow sticks at a time flying over crowds at music festival shows. Take a look at the video below of Bassnectar’s set during All Good 2010 to see what I mean.
Have you ever seen a glow stick party that wasn’t fun? I’ll answer that one for you: Nope.
Well, there you have it. My list of the most fun things to bring to a music festival. Are there any other items that you would add to the list? Connect with me on Social or let me know in the comments below!